Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Government and Childhood Obesity

Okay. I have to rant. Everytime I see something in the media about Michelle Obama and her childhood obesity campaign, I can't help but get pissed off. Not pissed off because I don't agree. I do. As a nurse and a mother, I agree that we need to do something to get our kids to eat less crap and instead eat healthier foods and be more active. My son would MUCH rather stay inside and play on his xBox or Wii.

What pisses me off is that 1) the government is involved and 2) how can she campaign this aggressively when her husband still smokes and eats crap himself? The president's total cholesterol was 209 and his LDL (bad cholesterol) was 138 at his annual physical this year. Borderline high cholesterol starts at 200 and LDL is considered borderline high at 130. A child whose parent smokes is more likely to smoke as an adult. Why can't she clean up her own household first?

Anyway...Mrs. Obama, if I want you to come into my kitchen I'll invite you. Otherwise, stay the fuck out.

1 comment: